Tuesday, June 30, 2009

IE8 and Adobe Flash Player Problems

Are you having trouble with Internet Explorer version 8? Applications and videos not playing? When you try to download the newest version of Adobe Flash Player, it downloads fine, but then you application still doesn't work. Don't worry, you're not doing anything wrong. I found lots of posts that others were having the same problem. Apparently, the newest version of Internet Explorer (version 8) is not compatible with the latest Adobe Flash Player. If you have an earlier version of Internet Explorer, you should be fine, and I would recommend waiting to download 8 until this problem is resolved. I've read that Microsoft is working on it, but I've not heard an ETA for when it will be resolved. I had the same problem and the solution I recommend (it worked for me) is to change your web browser. Internet Explorer is not the only one available. I switched to Google Chrome and have had no problems.

To install the newest Adobe Flash Player to Google Chrome, follow these steps:
1. Open Chrome and go to the Adobe download page, or just, from your application, Chrome gives the message to add plug-in, click on it.
2. The Adobe Flash Player then downloads to you.
3. You get a message saying that to continue you must close Chrome. Do this. I thought that if I closed my browser it would disconnect me from the internet, and the download would cut off. This is not true. Just close the browser, and a message appears telling you the installation is complete.
4. Reopen Chrome and return to you application. It should work now.

If you are still having difficulties, there are pages to help, but they didn't work for me. Just type in your search box something similar to "download Adobe Flash Player to Google Chrome". There are a few sites to visit that have alternative solutions. One site recommended "tricking" Chrome into downloading by extracting files through winzip. You can try this, but it did not work for me. If your YouTube videos and applications are not working, do not dispair. Just follow the above listed steps and you should be fine. I've also heard of people using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer or Google Chrome. An alternative web browser to Internet Explorer 8 is my suggestion. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment